Friday, March 6, 2009

Art Snobs.


I recently wandered over to the Walker Art Center here in Minneapolis, Minnesota and gazed at the exhibits, one being a gallery featuring artist, Elizabeth Peyton. I had never seen any of here work before, but it was pretty cold. I liked what I saw. I might not be able to interpret the art for the depth or meaning it was intended to have like most of the art crowd think they can, but I'm confident I can appreciate good art when I see it, no matter its original intentions. That being said, I'd like to go on a bit of a rant. Hang on children.

I'll start off by saying that I had never been to the Walker before, which weakens my leverage on the matter. However, I think it's applicable to other experiences I've had viewing art in public. The thing that ticks me off is the people who enjoy art, fine art in particular. This is a bit stereotypical of me and I don't normally judge people, but my instincts lead me to believe the following words. I don't enjoy dirty looks from snobby people. Now not everybody at the Walker last night was snobby, there were just a handful that I drained through my social sieve. My problem is that these people ruin the mood for everybody involved. You don't have to look sophisticated to enjoy art and you especially don't have to be some giant critical dick while you observe it. These are peoples most intimate, vulnerable expressions of themselves, and because of that I believe all art is magnificent. Obviously some artists are able to articulate better than others, that's why we've installed such institutions like the Walker, but it doesn't make some art better than others. So, all of those who aren't going to read this, lighten up. Art is for everybody, not just those who criticize it for fun and look down on kids for wearing a sweatshirt a size to small and tattered vans ((id est (i.e.) my wardrobe last night)).

The moral of the post. Don't be a prick. It doesn't take much effort and in the process, you'll make the world a little more pleasant.

3 comments:

  1. eff those people man... can't live with them, can't avoid them.
    Speaking of artwork... you recognize this?


    http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp281/matt052886/IMG_1228.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes i do recognize that. I believe it's one of the guitar hero backgrounds or loading screen?? Is that hand painted?

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://apps.facebook.com/graffitiwall/show.php?rn=3b4a7947205fa192339f77328106b04b

    it's a uniqueSkin for ipods.. now sure how they print it on there. I guess you could say it is hand painted... or hand-on-mouse painted.

    -matt

    ReplyDelete